GUEST POST: WRITTEN BY POLLY NOBLE
I have lost count of the number of emails, facebook comments and tweets asking me, "How do I get started?" when it comes to becoming your own healthy heroine.
Due to a downright devastating diagnosis of cancer, I was forced to ditch the junk and re-evaluate my whole life, which included moving out of my house, leaving my job and starting my own health revolution overnight. I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do, after all, I knew of no-one that had shunned conventional treatment in favour of healing themselves naturally. But hey, I was born a Scorpio and am always up for a challenge and I certainly don't do things by halves.
I researched everything I could on health and healing, educating myself on how to kick start my body's natural healing mechanism so I could "be well" again. I went on detox retreats, read everything I could get my hands on and studied at The Institute of Integrative Nutrition to equip myself with a deep understanding of health, happiness and spiritual wellness.
Here I am 18 months later and I feel and look better than ever. And I mean ever! I have more energy and experience more peace and happiness that I can ever remember having. And now people want to know how I am doing it from what I drink, to what I eat, to what shampoo I use to how I experience peace despite having an "incurable" disease that has the potential to end my life at any moment...!
That job that I quit (and hated by the way) has now become one I LOVE working with amazing, interest people who want to experience health and happiness. And why not? It's your birthright! As the song "Perfect" by Fairground Attraction goes..."too many people take second best, but I won't take anything less"... And I agree. Why should you have anything less than the best? Life is to be enjoyed and it sure is too darn short to live a life that you don't love right?
I often hear people say 'Well I'm quite healthy already... I do this, and don't do that"but it's not until I start asking them question, that it becomes apparent that there is in fact SO much more that they can be doing!
So if you're not experiencing true health and happiness, then I would suggest you read through some of what I call the "fundamentals"; things that I recommend you do if you want to ignite your own health revolution and become your own healthy heroine. There are over twenty by here at my top ten;
THE TOP TEN FUNDAMENTALS
1. GET JUICING: Juicing is a super fast way to flood your body with nutrient-dense and oxygen-rich phytonutrients. Green juice is my favourite. I love to add E3 Live for a super boost.
2. CHOOSE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ALKALINE FOODS: An anti-inflammatory alkaline diet is rich in enzymes, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants which the body loves. Opt for green drinks, green smoothies, veggies, sprouts and sea veggies instead of scary dairy, meat, fizzy drinks, alcohol and processed food.
3. DUMP THE JUNK: Reduce or eliminate sugars that come in the form of processed foods. White sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, maple sugar, molasses, sucrose, invert sugar, fruit concentrate - it's ALL sugar! It spikes your blood sugar, promotes inflammation, mines your body of minerals, stresses out your immune system and fuels candida.
4. FORGET THE FLESH: By reducing the amount of animal products in your diet, the less likely it is that you will develop chronic disease. Animal products (eggs, meat, dairy) are highly acidic and pro-inflammatory causing stress to the body.
5. DRINK THE CLEANEST WATER YOUR CAN FIND: Try to consume 1-2 litres of the cleanest water possible per day. If you are drinking green juices which are very hydrating, you may not need as much. Try adding some MSM for an anti-inflammatory boost.
6. DON'T STRESS IT: Stress is a major contributing factor to internal acidity which puts pressure on your body and upsets the delicate PH balance in your body. Invest in chilling out through meditation, visualisation, relaxation or doing something peaceful you love like spending time in nature.
7. HIT THE SACK: Your body loves sleep so much that when you're sleeping, it is working. It is busy detoxing, healing and repairing. So do it a favour and get to bed between 11pm and 7am which are it's optimal working hours.
8. LOVE THE SKIN YOU'RE IN: You can eat the best diet in the world but if your skin is absorbing toxic chemicals every day through your potions and lotions, your body begins to stockpile them and eventually something's gonna give. Don't let it be your immune system! Go chemical-free
9. DETOX: Giving your body the opportunity to clear the crap and get back on the healthy highway is the best present you can give yourself. Not only can too many toxins overload that precious liver of yours but it can cause serious imbalances and prevent you from experiencing good mental health, happiness and peace of mind. Book yourself on a detox retreat.
10. MAKE FUN A PRIORITY: Don't take yourself or your life so seriously. It is too easy to get caught up in your head and believe those stressful thoughts. Take some time out, put the to-do list on ice and do something that makes you laugh.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Polly Noble is a Holistic Health Coach & author. Diagnosed with cancer twice before the age of 28, Polly was forced to take inventory of her diet and lifestyle which sparked within her a deep desire to begin her own health revolution in order to stay well. She is a big advocate of eating clean, whole foods, drinking green juice and practicing the art of extreme self care which she encourages others to do so that they can live a life they love. Her latest book out now is "The Cancer Journey - Positive Steps to Help Yourself Heal". Find out more at www.thecancerjourneybook.com.