Before I do this, I want to remind you of what I emphasised in the last post - that the most important focus of this project is inner transformation. It is very easy to get distracted by the outer world and think that our goals of what we want to do and have are the most important thing. During this project it is a good idea to have some outer goals that you are working on, but your main focus will be on your inner state.
What will amaze you, is that once you actually change and heal your inner world, the outer results will come easier, faster and much more effortlessly than ever before. It is therefore beneficial to set some outer world and material intentions as you will then be able to observe how differently your dreams manifest when you start on the inside first.
So, for those of you who do not have much experience with doing inner work, you may be wondering exactly what inner transformation is.
What is Inner Transformation?
Inner transformation involves a few main components;
- Self Reflection and Self Inquiry: This involves getting curious about yourself, taking a step back and looking at your life from a new perspective. Become aware of your patterns of thinking and your habits of behaviour. Begin to question and make sense of why it is you do what you do. Think about what emotions or feelings you regularly feel. Take a mental inventory of experiences that tend to show up in your life over and over again. Simply start to get to know yourself better and gain a better understanding of the thoughts and feelings you experience and how these affect your outer life experience.
- Determine what needs to change: Start to think about what areas of your inner world are not truly serving you. Do you have some patterns or habits that are holding you back? Do you often feel negative emotions? Do you tend to live in the past and play old stories over and over in your mind? How do you feel and think about yourself? Do you have any perceptions or views of the world that do not support you? How are you with others? Are you ever judgemental, unforgiving or rude to people? Do you live in fear or anxiety? Do you feel that your thoughts, feelings or beliefs keep you stuck, powerless or unable to achieve what you want in life?
- Do the work: This is where you determine what work has to be done to transform your inner world. How can you work to change your thoughts, feelings, reactions, perceptions, interpretations and emotions? Here, you actually change who you are as a person with the aim of then creating different results around you
The PracticesWhat I want to give you now, is a list of practices that you can apply throughout the project to assist with the transformation of your inner world, and the achievement of your intentions. These practices are designed to work with your mind, your emotions and your energy. This is where true change begins. These practices support you in changing who you are being and how you see the world. The spin off is that through making these inner changes, the outer world will consequently begin to shift too. As you work to remove the inner blocks inside you, then the things in the outer world that you have previously been blocking, will now start to roll in.
In the last post, I explained that there were 4 main aims in this project. They were;
1. Feeling Good
2. Thinking Right
3. Releasing Resistance
I will categorise the practices you can use based on how they support each of the aims;
Practices to help you FEEL GOOD
- Positive Aspects: Take time each day to stop and notice the good/great/wonderful/beautiful things that are surrounding you at this moment. You may be at work, in the car, out shopping or doing chores at home, but you can still take time to tune in to the good aspects of each experience.
- Appreciation: Write lists or just think in your mind of all the things that you love and appreciate in your life. This exercise is beautiful for opening your heart.
- Gratitude: Similar to appreciation, gratitude helps you see just how blessed you are. Think about all the amazing things you have to be thankful for you in your life, no matter how small.
- Follow Your Bliss: Each day dedicate some time to following your bliss. Ask yourself what you love to do and make some time to do it each day. It may be an activity like painting, dancing or playing sport or it may be as small as reading your favourite book, drinking tea, playing with your pets or walking in nature.
- Be Kind to Others: Making others feel good can bring about so much happiness. Smile at people, think kind thoughts about them, do favours for people, buy gifts, help strangers, and speak nice words to all those that you meet.
- Nourish Your Body: When you eat well and exercise you will be amazed at how much better you feel. Not only are you showing yourself that you love and care about yourself, but a healthy body supports a healthy, positive mind.
- Affirmations: You want to program your mind to think in more positive ways and in ways that are in line with what you want. Write out clear affirmations of what you want to experience, be, do or have and say them out loud daily.
- Review Your Intentions: I like to keep a list of the intentions I am working on for each 100 Day Project pinned up near my desk where I can see them. Looking at them daily keeps my mind focused on where I am going and what I am currently working on.
- Focus on What You DO Want: So often our mind gets stuck thinking about all the things we do not like or do not want, but it is necessary to catch yourself when this happens. Instead focus on what you do want to experience, or do want to have or do want to feel or do want to bring in to your life.
- Quit Complaining: We often let small trivial complaints occupy our mind for no good reason. Letting go of complaining thoughts will make space for beautiful, positive thoughts to come in.
- Believe and Expect: You must have faith that everything is on it's way to you, and you must keep your mind in a open state of belief, expectation and receiving. Know and trust that good things are coming to you and they will.
- Meditate: When your mind is calm and free of stressful thoughts, you are in a much more open and positive state. In the absence of negative thought there is nothing blocking your desires from coming to you, and you are much more able to receive goodness in to your life.
- Breathe: If there is any point that you feel tight, stressed, tense or anxious one of the best things you can do is focus on your breathe. Take several deep breaths to assist you in calming down or in releasing tension in your body or mind.
- Feel Your Emotions: Often when negative emotions arise in us, we do our best to suppress or ignore them. Instead if you find yourself feeling something yuck, just sit with it and experience it fully. Once you acknowledge and process it you will allow it to release.
- Journal: If you have a problem you cannot solve or something is bothering you, take out a pen and a piece of paper and write it down. Getting it out of your head and on to paper helps you process and release stuck negativity.
- Forgive: Sometimes if we are feeling bad, there is someone or something we need to forgive. It could be a person, an experience, an event or even yourself. Ask yourself if there is someone you need to forgive or an old resentment you need to release and see what comes up.
- Be Present: When we a truly present and at peace with the moment, there is no stress or struggle. It is when our minds are stuck in the past or the future that we suffer. Do your best to remain as mindful and present to your experience in this very moment and do not let yourself get caught up on worries of the past or future.
- Think Right + Feel Good + Release Resistance: By working with the above 3 steps you will be supporting and enabling your dreams to manifest much faster.
- Visualisation: Did you know that your subconscious mind does not know the difference between images that are appearing on the screen of your mind because you are remembering them from the past, observing them in the present or imagining them in the future. When you visualise your dream life, you are putting images in your mind that your sub-concious mind takes as reality. Imagine your life as you want it to be, see it in your mind and feel it in your body and soon it will start to become your reality.
- Act As If: When you act as if, it does not mean you are pretending to be something you are not. Rather it is about embodying the qualities you want to have now even if you do not have them yet. If you want to have more money, begin embodying the qualities of abundance and feeling as if you already have all the money in world. Or, if you want to be slimmer, start acting more confident and relaxed in your body and feel the feeling of being slim and healthy even if your body is not quite there yet.
- Take Action Steps Daily: As you start to focus your mind in the right way, you will start having new inspiring ideas about actions you can take to start making your dreams a reality. When you get these ideas, act on them. Start doing new things each day - create a new habit, commit to a new daily practice, or take a small baby step each day in the direction of new behaviour.