As a result, I am becoming increasingly fascinated by the HOW of change. After years of self help books, personal development seminars, and trying every tool and tip under the sun, I have come to the very root of what I believe creates change in our lives - it is our mind.
Now, this is not a new idea, and in fact it is something I have known for a long time now, but I am only really starting the grasp the real power of it. Quite simply, the only way to change anything in your life, is to first change your mind. Inner work = outside results. The outside world in a pure reflection of what is going on inside of us.
When I talk about what is going on inside of us, I mean your...
- Thoughts and Beliefs
- Feelings and Emotions
- Perceptions and Interpretations
- Self talk
- Attention and Focus
As a bit of a catalyst to get you to start looking inside, rather than outside of you for ways to change, try pondering some of the questions below. Inner change comes from introspection and taking the time to get quiet and conscious about what is actually going on inside of you. You can either sit and think about these questions, or even get out a journal and just record the answers that come to you.
Pick an area of your life that is not working for you at the moment and look at the questions below. Refrain temporarily from trying to do something to change it. Don't try to fix the problem. Go inside yourself and ask how and why you are creating this in your life?
What are you thinking about this area?
- What thoughts do you have on a day to day basis about this area of your life?
- What do you believe to be true about this area?
- What are you believing about this that is supporting its presence in your life?
- What are you believing that is making change impossible?
- Do you believe that you can have what you want?
- What are some new beliefs you can start to take on to create change?
- If you didn't believe all these limiting things, who would you be?
- If you didn't believe these limiting thoughts anymore, what could you do?
- Are you living from a place of fear or a place of love in this area of your life?
- Do you frequently feel powerless, angry, fearful, frustrated, hurt or sad in this area?
- How can you shift your emotions so you feel better about this area of your life?
- What are some positive things happening in this area of your life that make you feel good when you think of them?
- Do you tend to only see all the negatives in this area?
- Are you looking for all the things going wrong or all the things going right?
- What could possibly be some lessons you are learning from this current challenge?
- Can you see any positive or benefits to where you are now in this area of your life?
- Start to pay attention to your self talk. Listen to the way you talk to yourself about this area of your life
- Are you only talking about all the things going wrong?
- Do you often complain to others about all the bad things about this area of your life?
- Are you speaking in loving and empowering ways or are you speaking in negative and critical ways?
- What are some positive things you can start to say to yourself and others about this area?
- Is your self talk supporting you to make the changes you want?
- What type of person as you in this area?
- Are you acting as someone who has everything they want, and who is empowered and happy? Or are you acting as someone who is constantly struggling, feeling negative and dealing with problems?
- Choose who you want to be in this area of your life.
This process can be hard, as it often suddenly makes you aware of a whole heap of thoughts that have just been running unconsciously on autopilot. It can be quite confronting when you start to become aware of them, especially when they are nasty limiting ones.
I have previously written some tips for how to create change from the inside out, and what it is that stops us when we attempt change, so feel free to check them out if you need more support.