07 August 2011

FOLLOW YOUR HEART SERIES #1 - MELANIE COMMONS

This is the first post in the Follow Your Heart Series. This series profiles inspirational women who by listening to their heart and following their inner guidance have changed the course of their life to be one that is now filled with love, passion, fulfilment and bliss. 

The aim of this series is to provide support and hope to others who may feel that they are not on a path that is deeply serving them or who have lost connection with their true passion. It is my hope that you will allow the women in this series to serve as role models to inspire you to start listening to what your inner guidance is whispering, and to find the courage to follow the call of your heart.


The first woman to be profiled in this series is Melanie Commons. Mel and I met while we were both travelling through South America. I instantly felt drawn to her. She has an infectious positive energy, a warm open presence and an a beautiful, playful personality.




Melanie Commons - Yoga and Meditation Teacher
Tell us about what you do?
I am a Yoga and meditation teacher on the beautiful Gold Coast, Australia. I own Golden Yoga and run a boutique yoga studio in Burleigh Heads.


What do you love about what you do?
Everyday I get to wake up and teach Yoga to an assortment of gorgeous students. Yoga changed my life and I am lucky enough to be able to share this with everyone who comes in to my studio.

What does following your heart mean to you?
To me, following your heart means to listen very carefully to your inner voice. To allow yourself to be guided without question to what you intuitively know is right. We all have the strength and courage to do this but sometimes our superficial self (the ego, fear) stands in our way.

Was there ever a time that you were not doing what you loved or following your heart? Tell us about this.
I had a very dark childhood and was unable to deal with what happened to me for a long time. I suppressed deep emotions until it was too much to bear and I had to face my demons. I was living in Sydney and had many people in my life who did not have my best interests at heart. I felt trapped in a world where I was misunderstood and I knew I needed to get out
Without really knowing why, I broke up with my partner of 5 years, allowed many friends to disappear from my life, quite my job and decided to go overseas. I then went on a spiritual journey (which I am still on and will be on for the rest of this lifetime!!) which took me out of the life I knew and brought me to where I am today. Yoga has helped me to connect with something deeper, and help me realise that peace cannot be found externally. It is within us.

What was the turning point for you? What made you decide to make a change?
I would have to say the turning point for me was the realisation that I was living a fake life. I was pretending that I was happy when I was actually miserable. Yoga guided me within and allowed me to release the dragon! (I call my inner demons 'the dragon' hehe) Without this 'release' I believe I would still be lost and living a blank existence where everything is repressed and not dealt with. Now I can feel the plateau of peace and happiness and know that it was a rocky road, but gee it was worth it.

How exactly did you make this big transition?
As I mentioned, I literally left my old life behind! I packed up my 'Sydney life' and decided to move overseas. I travelled through South America and Europe for a year and then decided to move back to the Gold Coast to become a Yoga teacher and live on the beach. I have been back on the Gold Coast for almost 2 years and have been teaching Yoga and meditation for a year. 

There were many twists and turns along the way and I had a few struggles, but I learnt so much about myself! My old life now seems like a distant dream. My life now is full of healing and love and I am so happy.

Were there any fears/limiting beliefs that you had to overcome? How did you heal these?
Lots of fears, guilt, and lack of self-belief. I am still healing old wounds and working through some old issues. Yoga and meditation, reiki, kinesiology and deep self reflection have been complete life savers and helped me to let go of the attachment I had with the negative parts of my past. I had to relinquish my grip on fear and invite love and light in. 

How do you deal now with life's challenges?
I have learnt to respond rather than react. Being aware and present and taking responsibility for my actions, rather than placing blame on external situations or people.

What would be your advice for someone who is wanting to make the transition toward doing more of what they love or living a heart driven life?
Listen to what makes your heart sing. Listen to what makes you feel alive and passionate. Trust in yourself and trust that the universe will look after you if you follow your dream. Don't look too far ahead, take each moment at a time and enjoy the journey rather than feel anxiety about the destination!

What are your daily practices to keep you connected to your heart and your purpose?
Yoga, meditation, reading, writing, and spending time outside with my cat. It is the little things that keep me satisfied.

What core beliefs or philosophies underpin the way that you live your life now?
I am a strict vegetarian and I have been for over a decade for ethical reasons. Being kind to everyone and everything is a daily practice for me and makes me feel good. Being conscious and aware of my behaviour towards myself and other people keeps me grounded as well. Knowing that I am in control of how I feel and what happens around me allows me to reflect on my reactions and change what I do not like about my life.

Do you have anything else you would like to share?
Be kind to yourself! We are all so focused on treating everyone else well and we forget about ourselves. We are all perfect just the way we are and when you are feeling down or uninspired please remember this! Choose your thoughts like you choose your clothes everyday. Relax, put your feet up and laugh! Enjoy this moment, right now!

So, what is next for you?
I am currently completing my next level of Yoga teaching which will be finished at the end of the year, and I am looking at moving to a larger studio in the very near future..watch this space! Everyday I am inspired by my surroundings and the people in my life. I am not sure what the future holds but I am excited to find out.

Where can people find out more about you?
I write a blog online which is on my website www.goldenyoga.com.au and you can find me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/GoldenYoga. Please contact me on info@goldenyoga.com.au if you would like to ask me anything xx

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm working on a similar post, great ideas you have <3
    I think this is the beginning of having the life you want, sort of like claiming your own life quality. Have the best week ever. Good luck with your heart centered life, beautiful!

    /Karolina~ 

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...