At some point in my life, this changed. I stopped listening to the whisper of my heart. Rather than following the call of that soft, intuitive voice that was directing me toward a life of inspiration, joy, love, passion and self expression, I began listening to a different voice. This was the voice of fear. It was logical and rational. Rather than inspiring me to follow my bliss it encouraged me to plan a route in life that would keep me safe inside my comfort zone. I became an over-analyser and a people pleaser. I was always thinking and I could not stop worrying. I always took the safest, most familiar route when making decisions. I sat inside the confines of the known. I ended up ignoring all the things I loved to do and replacing them with the things I thought I had to do.
This fearful voice is the voice of the rational mind or ego as it is sometimes called. Its purpose is to protect you. When you attempt something new, it brings up memories from past failures in order to ensure you do not do anything which could risk more failure. It keeps you in the restrains of your comfort zone where things are predictable and familiar. It will not urge you to do what will make you the happiest but rather it will work to prevent any damage to your ego. The voice of the mind is loud and over-bearing and often drowns out that soft, beautiful whisper of your heart and soul.
Our mind teaches us to be responsible, rational, sensible, safe, analytical, tactical, and to see the world as it is. Whereas our heart teaches us to leap in to the unknown with joy and love. The voice of your mind or ego disconnects you and makes you see others as separate and different. The energy of the heart opens you up and connects you with everyone and everything. Your mind will keep you stuck in an endless loop of analytical thought. The voice of love will encourage you let go and to grow and expand.
For years, I have been hearing the call of my hearts desire. It has been speaking to me endlessly through dashes of inspiration, moments of passion, fleeting feelings of joy or times of total excitement. Lately, I have been listening more closely to what my heart is saying to me, yet my mind has continuously talked me out of actually taking any action on this guidance. I tend to have a bit of a pattern that I repeat in my life. I often hear the whispers of my heart, but as soon as I begin to think about following this call, my mind jumps in with fear and prevents me from taking action.
When making a decision, you will often have both the voice of love and the voice of fear speaking to you at the same time. Which one do you usually listen to?
How to recognise the whisper of you heart
- The whisper of the heart is that little quiet voice that we often ignore or suppress
- It is always the voice of love
- The voice of your heart is supportive, encouraging and self-empowering
- It will encourage your growth and will lead you out of your comfort zone
- It may lead you into the new and unknown
- It will call you to express the highest vision that you hold of yourself and to become your very best
- It will feel like the happiest feeling thought
- You may get that feeling where your heart suddenly leaps with a feeling of excitement, joy, inspiration, love or passion
- It may feel lighthearted or playful
- You will feel open, free and connected
- It may tell you to let go of certain things that no longer serve you
- It may tell you to try a new path or go in a new direction
- It will call you to the best thing for your higher good always
- It will lead you to things that will make you feel more joy