13 April 2012

EMBRACING UNCERTAINTY: HOW TO THRIVE IN TIMES OF CHAOS


Warning: Today, I get a little deep....

I am going to through an interesting little journey in my life at the moment. I have mentioned a bit about this in some of my recent facebook posts, and from the response I have received from all of you, I am hearing that I am not alone! So, I want to share a bit about the crazy, contrasting and rather chaotic experiences I am having, and the powerful, aha-moment realisations and learnings I am getting as a result.

EMBRACING UNCERTAINTY

The circumstances of my life seem to be in a constant state of flux. When people ask me where I will be or what I will be doing a few months from now, I say 'I don't know!' I am learning instead, to surrender to what is, and allow the flow of life to guide me, rather than forcing what I want in to fruition. My best laid plans are often unravelled as unexpected twists and turns seem to continue to enter my path. I am being forced to live squarely in this moment. To simply be here now

This is the beautiful thing that uncertainty makes us do - it makes us live presently. Why? Because there is not much else we can do! When the world around us is arranging and rearranging itself, all we can do is sit tight and do our best to hold on. 

The other thing that uncertainty does, is move our focus from the external to the internal. Often when our hands are tied and we are powerless to control the outer world, we are forced to just stop, and be. Uncertainty often creates inner turmoil. As a result, we become more aware of what is going on inside of us, and if we are wise, we start implementing practices to calm our anxieties, and cultivate peace instead.

LIFE IS A CLASSROOM

I believe life is our a classroom, and we are here to learn. I believe we are given challenges, as these help us to grow. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and unfolds exactly as it is supposed to, even if at the time we cannot understand why. I believe that there is more to my life and this universe than the physical and material things that we can touch, see and feel. 

These beliefs give me peace. They give my life meaning and purpose. They help me detach from the part of me that wants to curl up in a ball, play the victim card and cry 'why is this happening to me?' Instead, they empower me to see the true message behind everything, and encourage me to remember that in every moment I have the ability to choose how I am going to respond

Right now, I am being challenged. And rather than looking at these challenges as annoying inconveniences, I am instead choosing to see them as beautiful little learning opportunities and wondrous little wake up calls, that I did not even realise I needed.


ABRUPT ENDINGS + NEW BEGINNINGS

I am in the process of learning which areas of my life need to end - and therefore be let go of. And which areas of my life are ready to grow - and require new beginnings. 

Some areas of my life are crumbling at the moment. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I cannot keep them together. I am working so hard to make progress and literally stop everything falling to pieces. It is the strangest thing, because no degree of effort, control, organisation or preventative measures can stop it. I have been fighting this for months. Working to pick up the pieces. Trying so hard to get results. And nothing

On the other hand, it seems that there are other areas of my life that are blossoming out of my control. In these areas there is effortlessness, flow, ease and instant manifestation. In these moments my body tingles with high energy vibrations. I experience synchronicity and magic and miracles. In these areas, no mater how many challenges I experience it seems that these areas still seem to flourish. Literally with very little effort on my behalf. It is as if, all I need to do is set the intention, let go, and it all just happens.

I have been swinging between this darkness and light like a yo yo on a string.  In the span of a day I move between the peaks and troughs countless times. My analytical mind has been going haywire trying to piece this puzzle together and make sense of it all. And this is the problem, because...

When it comes to matters of the heart, your analytical mind is useless.

I am being taught that it is time to follow my inner guidance with strong faith, a deep trust, and lots of courage. And in order to do this, I must let go of any rational or logical reasoning that my analytical mind tries to use to talk me out of it. 


JUMP, AND THEN YOU GET YOUR WINGS

Read this post by Sarah Wilson, titled jump, and *then* you get your wings. It totally spoke to me. It was the message I needed to hear. 


HOW TO THRIVE IN TIMES OF CHAOS


So, to make it through the challenging times, it is important to view things from the right perspective. Remember these following lessons and apply them to help you through the chaotic and unstable times.

+ Embrace Uncertainty: Don't fight it.  Don't resist it. Simply allow it. Let the Universe guide and support you. Trust that everything is unfolding as it is meant to, and you will always be taken care of. Everything you need will be provided. 

+ Follow Your Heart:  The heart energy is often irrational, illogical and free spirited. It encourages us to take risks and follow your feelings rather than your rational mind. When we are afraid, we often retreat to the security based thinking of the mind. Instead, stay connected to your heart and allow it to guide you

+ Let Go: Let go of how you want it to happen. Let go of your attachments. Let go of forcing, controlling and manipulating. Relax a little. Let go of outcomes and results. If you are struggling with this, try taking a deep breath in, and as you breathe out say the words 'let it go' several times. Repeat this process over and over until you find your body relax and your mind start to cam.

+ Follow Inner Guidance: I believe that the purpose of instability in the external world, is to encourage us to instead find our security and stability inside of us. We all look to the external world to meet our needs, but when the external world is in chaos, we must turn our search somewhere else. Start to become familiar with that soft inner voice inside of you that whispers to you. It will always tell you what you need to hear.

+ Forget About The How: It is very likely that you have no idea how everything is going to sort itself out. And that it totally ok! Do not waste your time trying to come up with plans about how it is all going to come together. Simply focus on the outcome you want. Hold it in your heart. Trust that it will be taken care of. And then as the dust around you settles, keep hold of that vision and remain open and willing to the guidance that will show you how to achieve it. 


So, over to you! I would love to hear your comments...

+ Can any of you relate to what I am describing here?
+ What lessons are you learning from this experience?

10 comments:

  1. Whatever you are doing....it is coming across to ME as a positive thing! I love your blog and your fb page. It is uplifting to me to know that there are those who struggle, as I do! Writing about struggles, stress, etc. opens up doors to getting through this world on a positive note. Keep on keeping on! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TK, thank you for your support. I think sometimes in life we try to eliminate all the struggles and challenges, as we see them as 'bad' things. I am doing my best to actually dig deep deeper and discover the lessons and learnings that are hidden amongst them. I agree, writing about it all actually really helps, and it is very free-ing to be able to get it all out! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow! As I was reading I felt like I was writting! Thank you so much for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I can totally relate to what you just described. Uncertainty kills me. I love the idea of being spontaneous, but it's just not a reality for me. I'm envious of the people who can quit their job at a moment's notice or jump on a plane and see where it takes them. But I need to know that everything's going to work out first.

    I love this quote from Sarah's blog post: "There’s no such thing as an angel wing shop." I am SO the type to go shopping for angel wings before I dare to take the leap. Right now, I'm plugging away, planning to quit my job in the summer but worrying what the heck I'm going to do for money when the time comes. I believe it's good to do the groundwork and have a back-up plan, but worrying so much really isn't necessary. Everything always works out OK in the end. And if it's not OK, it's not the end :)

    Also, I love the idea that external chaos happens for a reason, so that we can get in touch with our internal tranquillity. I never thought about it that way before. But I guess it should have been obvious, since I'm always peddling the message that happiness is a choice rather than something that comes to us when our outside circumstances are in alignment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, I think many of us are afraid of uncertainty. I can relate to exactly what you are saying as I often try to get everything perfect before I make some form of change. But that is not how it works!! I believe that by taking the leap first, even without an idea of how it will all work out, we are being taught to TRUST in the amazing power that created us, and KNOW we are always taken care of.

      And yes, seeing external chaos as a message that we need to get quiet inside is a big thing!! Not many of us can grasp that teaching, but you describe it perfectly.

      Thank you for sharing your experiences here xxx

      Delete
  4. great post as always, Connie. So honest and touches my heart. I am in that uncertainty place at the moment, having to move out of our home, where we have been for a long time, not found a place to move to yet. My 8year old daughter crying last night that she was scared about leaving. As I comfort her that it is going to be ok no matter what happens, we have each other and other people we can rely on, I think I was telling myself also.

    we all go through different stages of our lives, some lighter and some are darker. I suppose that makes it more interesting and I try to appreciate the harder time as an opportunity to grow and really see and sort out the present life again.
    thanks for reading.


    www.shokuikuaustralai.com
    http://www.shokuikuaustralia.blogspot.com
    FACEBOOK yoko inoue shokuikuaustralia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shokuiko. I can really relate to what you are saying, as I too am on the verge of having to leave my home, and I have no idea what is going to happen after this! We really have to dig deep, trust ourselves and the universe and believe that we will be taken care of, and that everything is happening as it is meant too!

      I love that you can see that the darker times are oppportunities to grow and learn. That is exactly what I believe too. I hope you find yourself a beautiful new home.

      Thank you for sharing your thoughts here xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Connie,
    Huge fan of your blogs but this really hit home for me so thank you deeply.
    I really appreciate that you have put your personal struggles into this blog so its easy for us so we can relate.
    At the moment I am having to live in the now. I can honestly say i dont know where I will be in 2-12 mnths. studying to be a life coach, back at my home town to work on myself. Staying in Sydney at my chaos job. No matter what I decide now i know i dont have control of the universe so thanks for reminding me of this Connie.
    Bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Connie!
    Thanks so much for this blog, it really helps me not feel so "alone" on my journey. To everyone having to move out and move on... stay strong and know everything is for a reason. I had to move out of my home of 8 years at Christmas of 2011. I've been isolated in a place far away from everything, & everyone, I knew. Then, when I needed them most, my family disappeared on me. It's been very hard. But I made it through, and now things are looking up. Finally. Don't know what's next yet, but I know I'll be okay and I'm much stronger now than ever. Even though it is a struggle, I believe something better is in store, for myself, and everyone on this blog. You guys are awesome. Thanks for sharing your stories.
    Peace,
    Cynthia~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...